Thursday, March 10, 2016

Day 11-#SOL16: Writing What I Don't Write About


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by the inspirational writers of Two Writing Teachers. Each March, they invite people to join them in a commitment to write every day. Here's to another year of daily slicing!


Yesterday, I wrote ten lines I wanted to remember from the work we did with a TC Staff Developer. "It's always worth wondering about what you don't write about," Shana Frazin said to a group of teachers. Those words resonated with me, and I have been contemplating what I don't write about all day. Mostly, I play the emotional end of writing pretty safe. Tonight, my daughter provided an incredibly emotional moment in my day, so I will write about it.

Relay for Life has always been a big deal in our house. My daughters are captains, coordinators, organizers, and leaders in this even that raises money for the American Cancer Society. We have many personal connections to cancer, and my four girls watched my dad go through prostate cancer treatments for fourteen years. Since my oldest girl is almost 20, that means they really have no memory of my father without cancer.

Clare wrote her fundraising post tonight, and she called me into her room to read it and make sure it was okay.

"Do you think this is okay to post?" she asked. She turned her laptop toward me as I entered her bedroom.

I had no idea what she was putting in front of me. I guess I was expecting a tweet to a friend, an announcement of a school event. Maybe I just wasn't expecting--

I've been emotional over the last couple of days. A conversation with someone I don't know well about losing a parent had me teary on my ride home. Sometimes we are more fragile than others.

So when Clare showed me her post, it slayed me.

My dad finished his fight. On June 3rd, it will be a year, so this is the first Relay we will be without him.

I always admire how Clare Landrigan wends her way from her personal stories to the connections that exist between those stories and the work she does with students. I wonder what struggles, what emotional raw spots exist for the people I work with. It's been a good day for remembering to pay attention to the fragility around is. Above all else, kindness matters. 

All good things,



9 comments:

  1. Love the vulnerability in your post and the bravery to "go there" in your writing. Good job taking this risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie,
    Tears of joy for you and Clare . . . what an awesome daughter you have!

    You had me at "Clare wrote her fundraising post tonight, and she called me into her room to read it and make sure it was okay." I knew what was coming and tears still streamed!

    Thanks for writing about what you don't write about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie,
    Tears of joy for you and Clare . . . what an awesome daughter you have!

    You had me at "Clare wrote her fundraising post tonight, and she called me into her room to read it and make sure it was okay." I knew what was coming and tears still streamed!

    Thanks for writing about what you don't write about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie - your words about fragility all around us really resonate. Thank you so very much for sharing this and your family's memory of your father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The personal stories make us who we are, and I suspect everyone has something to share. How sweet that your daughter wrote this loving post. To her, that's her grandfather, and it mattered not at all that he was ill. That's who she knew and loved. My granddaughter's relationship with her grandpa, my husband is only of when he was in the nursing home, the 'hospital" she called it, and they loved each other nonetheless for being there. I am just thankful that she remembers him. The younger one does not. Thanks Melanie, I know it's been a long time of struggles for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A proud and bittersweet moment for sure. Thank you for feeling comfortable to share this story with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing Clare's post and your own beautiful, heartfelt words, Melanie. To say this has been a difficult year would be an understatement. Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some wonderful daughters! I am so sorry to learn here of your father's passing. There are bits of life that are just too difficult to share. You never know the fragility of someone's life. Something to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, you succeeded in bringing tears to my eyes today. I remember how reserved you were about your father's struggle. Writing about the emotional stuff takes bravery and a willingness to be vulnerable. Thanks for being that today. Your children are marvelous reflections of who you are.

    ReplyDelete