Monday, November 16, 2015

It's Monday! Here's What I'm Reading...



Jen Vincent at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye and Ricki Ginsburg at Unleashing Readers cohost It's Monday! What are You Reading? weekly on their blogs.  To see what others are reading and recommending each Monday, or to participate, be sure to head over to these blogs.

I haven't read much, as my writing life has been taking over in combination with my parenting life, but the books I read last week were really good, and really worth sharing.

When Sophie's Feelings Are Hurt by Molly Bang is a wonderful sequel to When Sophie Gets Angry...really, Really Angry. In this book, Sophie paints a picture of her tree, using the colors that she associates more with her feelings than the actual tree. Reading this book aloud could lead to important conversations about not only empathy, but also respect for other people's work and the importance of honoring creative spirits.

I may have to buy I Wish You More by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld for people I love this holiday season. It's short, but full of high impact wishes--such small phrases and sentences and such big sentiment and meaning.

Stacey Shubitz put One Word from Sophia by Jim Averbeck and illustrated by Yasmeen Ismail on my radar a few months ago. It's a fabulous mentor text for opinion writing, as Sophia uses all kinds of persuasive techniques to try to talk her family into a giraffe. Her parents and grandparents teach her about the importance of audience, as well as counterarguments through their responses. As a read-aloud, it could also generate some fun conversations about perseverance and resilience.

Happy reading,








3 comments:

  1. You wrote about two of our favorite books - One Word From Sophia is such a powerful text about point of view. We just loved it. I Wish You More is one of those texts that is timeless - Such a wonderful book for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, great to see another feature of Molly Bang's Sophie sequel - very interesting, I will have to find that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't wait to get to When Sophie's Feelings Are Hurt. I absolutely adore Molly Bang. One Word from Sophia also looks appealing. I just put a hold on it at our local library. I read I Wish You More to our school at the end of the year last June. It is such a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete