Monday, July 21, 2014

It's Monday! Here's What I'm Reading!

Jen Vincent at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye and Ricki Ginsburg at Unleashing Readers cohost It's Monday! What are You Reading? weekly on their blogs.  To see what others are reading and recommending each Monday, or to participate, be sure to head over to these blogs.

I've been listening to the Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, as it's on my daughter's summer reading list and we are on a lengthy college road trip. One of the things that Holden says at the beginning of this classic is that when you read a really good book, you want to meet the author and really hang out with him/her.  I agree, and I would love to hang out with Megan Jean Sovern who wrote the Meaning of Maggie.

If I could have a conversation with Holden, I would suggest to him some additional ways to judge a book. I love when I care about the characters. I finished the Meaning of Maggie on Tuesday and I really miss Maggie. I miss her quirkiness, her humor, her commitment to learning, her analysis of her sisters, her sense of unfairness... I even miss her sisters and their vanity and quick tongues with Maggie. I would also suggest to Holden that really good books demand that you read them out loud or at least share parts of them. I found myself begging anyone who was in the room around me to "just listen to this one part." I've left the book on a nightstand so that my number one reading daughter will join me as a Maggie reader. 

Suffice it to say the Maggie is a wonderful first person narrator. Loved, loved, loved this one.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing about this! Sounds great! I will have to grab this book this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your review - it almost seems as if Holden Caulfield and Maggie are talking out loud here. :) It's been so long since I've read Catcher in the Rye - I should probably re-read that one soonest.

    ReplyDelete