Monday, January 13, 2014

It's Monday! What are You Reading? The Shadow Throne by Jennifer Nielsen

Jen Vincent at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye and Ricki Ginsburg at Unleashing Readers cohost It's Monday! What are You Reading weekly on their blogs.   To see what others are reading and recommending each Monday, or to participate, be sure to head over to these blogs. 

My students and I absolutely love the Ascendence Trilogy by Jennifer Nielsen and have been counting the days to the release of the third book, The Shadow Throne, that is released on February 25th! I was extremely fortunate to get a digital ARC of The Shadow Throne last week so I devoured it this weekend.  I shared the exciting news with my students last week and they were thrilled! Needless to say I am lending out my iPad during reading workshop so students can read it and there is a list waiting to read it! So I am back to taking conferring notes the "old school way" temporarily with paper and pen instead of using my Confer app on iPad, but it is so worth it seeing the engagement and excitement in the students' eyes when they are reading this long awaited book! 

This third book was bitter sweet to read because although I was excited to find out how the trilogy ended, I was so sad that it is the end of the trilogy and time to say good-bye to the characters.  This book will not disappoint and it is full of the suspense, surprises, and action that filled the first two books in the trilogy: The False Prince and The Runaway King.  If you have read the first two books, mark February 25th on your calendar so you can read the third right when it comes out! If you haven't read the first two books in this trilogy yet, definitely put the False Prince on the top of your TBR - you will be so glad you did! 

Enjoy reading this week! 

5 comments:

  1. I am SO jealous of you right now! I have February 25th marked on my calendar! I'm also so excited to find out what happens in this book, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to say good bye to the characters yet. I'm going to have to savor this one. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and you a such a cool teacher lending out your iPad for your students to read the ARC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already have it bookmarked. Lucky you to have read that 3rd one, Melanie. I loved the first two! Thanks much for the wonderful shout-out for this trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Melanie. I did enjoy the first book in this trilogy and can't wait for the release of the third one. Currently reading The Thief before I start with The runaway king. Hopefully by the time I finish the second book, we'd already have the third in our library shelves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this series but it sounds wonderful and I do want to read a series sometime this year..so maybe this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read this title! I have been reading the series aloud to my children and we all adore it!

    ReplyDelete