Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

A recent New York Times article, Some Books Are More Equal Than Others,  inspired me to read books with more global equity issues than I may normally have read. This past week, I have read several powerful books.  Sold by Patricia McCormick continues to haunt me because it tells the fictionalized story of a young girl sold into prostitution in India during this time period. My teenage daughters are frequently looking for social causes and this is a book that really should inspire them to help stamp out whatever truth lives within the pages of Sold.

Another favorite of the week was The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine and I have to say it was as good as my expectation. So many of you have read this and recommended it! I love a book that makes me want to jump into the pages and interact with the characters and this one definitely had that effect on me.

Thanks to Jen and Kellee of Teachmentortexts.com for hosting and to all of the recommenders! I really look forward to the Monday posts.

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Sold, but it's on the "list" & you make me want to definitely read it, Melanie. There are so many issues with young women in our world. I loved "Lions" & am glad you liked it-good parts of history too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda, I haven't yet read Sold, but you really make me want to read it! It's been on my TBR for years. Lions is such a moving story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sold is an amazing book. It's sad but eye-opening at the same time. One of my students read it a couple of years ago and she couldn't believe it was a situation that really does happen and is happening now in parts of the world. A sad but much needed story to be shared.

    I love Lions of LIttle Rock, too! I love how much I felt like I could relate to the characters even though they were from a different era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed Lions of Little Rock! It's one of my favorite reads this year :)

    ReplyDelete