Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday is App Day- Interactive Books

I have been using many of the books that my students have created from Book Creator but I also love many of the interactive books that are available through the app store. I have written about this app before and I still maintain that it is completely worth the $4.99 price tag.

 While there are many interactive books available for varying price tags, I have found two free ones that I'm highlighting in this post. Toy Story has been one of my favorites! This program has a musical link as well as activities. While some of the adults get a little tired of hearing "You've Got a Friend in Me," the students love it. The program has not only this song, but also features that allow it to read to students, highlight words, and have many of the characters and settings react when touched. I use it as a motivator and also as an engaging fluency tool and comprehension builder.

The Princess and the Frog is one more free interactive story that several of my students with disabilities have enjoyed. Again, the program reads it to the user, offering several options for user interaction. There are some activities as well as several instances of character animation. The king in the story teaches a great lesson to his daughter that it's important to keep promises and my students have loved playing and re-playing the conversations!

Many of the interactive books have fluctuating price tags and it's worth shopping for them. I have gotten some of them for free by following their sales on Appshopper. If any of you out there in the blogosphere have more free books you are using, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment